Welcome to MN College Goal at St. Cloud State University
Below is information that we believe will be helpful as you complete your financial aid application. Feel free to raise your hand or approach a volunteer any time you have a question during the workshop.
Notes for FAFSA Filers:
- You may see a reference to an online “IRS Data Retrieval Tool” or DRT. To submit your FAFSA today, use estimated 2015 tax information or information from your completed 2015 federal tax return.
- Your “Save Key” allows you to:
o Return to your application or correction at a later date if you need to stop and save your work
o Share access to your application or correction if your parent needs to add information and sign your FAFSA
o This key expires once your FAFSA has been submitted.
- Be sure to record and keep your FSA ID and password in a safe place. You will need this information again down the road.
- If your parents do not have a social security number (SSN):
o They should enter all “zeros” for the SSN.
o Submit your FAFSA and then print a signature page for your parent to sign and mail in to be processed. Ask a volunteer for help printing your signature and confirmation pages.
- Your application will need to be completed and submitted in one sitting. Before you begin, verify that you have the following information with you today:
o Social Security number
o Alien registration number, if not a U.S. citizen
o Your 2015 tax information or current tax returns for student and parent(s)
o Information on savings, investments, and business and farm assets for student and parent(s)
o Records of untaxed income